Have I mentioned yet that we're going to sell our house and move back into the city? It has been a hard decision, but we really feel like it will be better for us in a lot of ways. We have no regrets about having lived here for the past two years. It's been great, but we underestimated how important it would be for us to be close to family and friends once we had a baby. Nigel doesn't want to do the long commute anymore and we feel like it is environmentally irresponsible to have to run two cars into the city from here.
Anyhow. Lots of new stuff to write about, so I'll just do it sort of chronologically:
Visits galore
Despite some indecision because of the big snowstorm on Friday, I headed into Ottawa to visit with our friends Greg & Madeleine. I'm glad I did; I really needed some social time with adults. Lovely as it is to be with Rowan all day, sometimes I need to hang out with people who don't need me to change their diapers or make silly faces at them. :-P
Nigel, Rowan and I stayed overnight at G&M's place (again, many thanks for your hospitality!) and then enjoyed some more socializing on Saturday, poker with the girls at Ron & Nadia's place, and then dinner at Seoul House. Thankfully, Rowan still loves her swing, because it let me learn how to play poker AND have dinner out with my so-sweet husband.
On Sunday, Nigel's parents came to visit with us and help with the ongoing renovations. They sure love to visit with their grand-baby! Rowan got carried around almost non-stop. Val made Rowan lots of very cool bibs. Not only do they look much more stylish than the usual baby bibs, but Val made them extra-wide for added protection from baby fluids. They work so well that Rowan wore the same outfit for an entire day.

This photo is a bit blurry, but Rowan is looking at her grandpa so intently that I just love it.Rowan is also showing quite a bit of interest in music; she listened intently while grandpa played guitar and sang. She also likes it when Nigel or I sing to her, and she seems to like to touch the piano keys and guitar strings.
First time eating
On Sunday morning, we let Rowan try a bit of baby rice cereal. We mixed up a teaspoon of cereal with a tablespoon of mixed breastmilk and water. Nigel was happy to feed her and Rowan seemed to enjoy it. She opened her mouth for the spoon and didn't seem to spit too much of the cereal out. It seems to have had no negative repercussions digestion-wise, so we will likely give her some more soon. I don't want to rush into solids, so we're just going to take it slow.


Rowan watches, touches, and grabs everything
Rowan is now much more interested in watching things that move. At home, she has become very interested in watching our cats and the birds at the feeders (and her people, of course). At G&Ms, she was intently watching Rebecca. What makes her even more excited than watching, though, is if we swoop her down to touch or grab whatever it is that is so nifty.
Now we play a game where Rowan touches things or picks up toys that she is interested in. We swoop down on unsuspecting felines, the blue hand of chew, the vibro-teether, and her orange squeeky monkey. Sometimes we play this game seated, where the toys are down near her toes and she leans way forward (supported by me) to grab them.
Rowan has also grabbed my hair, my glasses, my nipple (!), my nose, clothes (hers and mine), her own ears, among other things. She finds it fascinating to watch people eat and drink and would probably grab these things, too, if she could only reach. I usually let her touch the smooth, cool side of my water glass when I'm drinking.
Our tired arms love the carrier
Now that Rowan is so interested in everything, she doesn't want to stay in one place. Her rocking chair just doesn't cut it right now. She wants to be constantly moving around, so we've started to use the carrier again with Rowan facing out.
Daddy's a marsupialWe've started making up games to play with Rowan in the carrier. Nigel discovered that Rowan likes to "dance" on the tabletop:
Got rhythm? Maybe not just yet.
Goofing it up with daddy

No comments:
Post a Comment