Thursday, June 28, 2007

Family visits, food adventures, and the jumping bean

Shawville visit and birthday fun
This past weekend, we went up to Shawville to visit Nigel's family and celebrate the June birthdays - Nigel, his dad, and his mum.

Rowan enjoyed all of the excitement and stimulation and novel playthings (whee!) provided by her grandma. Spatulas, lids, bead strings, oh my!

This baby is bonkers for beaded strings. Don't worry; we checked to make sure it was safe.

Mmmm. I wonder if there was any residual coffee flavour in this filter? Vibrate!

If you look really close, you can sort of see her two bottom teeth working their way out.

Rubber spatula from heaven!

Rowan spent quite a long time happily hanging out on the back deck swing with her auntie Erica. Rowan tried to steal Erica's diamonds 'cause they are shiny. Aw, they were super cute.



James graciously took this nice family portrait out on the deck; too bad we didn't think to shoot it when Glen and Abbey were there on Saturday.



Fun Toronto visitors
Auntie Heather and her boyfriend Dim came for a visit on Monday-Tuesday. It was a great, if short, visit. Heather brought Rowan fun toys to throw, stack and chomp. We spent lots of time playing in the pool. Nothing like 33 degrees and muggy to make you want to lie down in water.

Adventures in eating
Rowan had a doctor's appointment on Tuesday morning. Now she weighs 17 lbs. No wonder I need to go to the chiropractor! She has the green light to eat wheat stuff - pasta and baby cheerio-type cereals - and I have to get her started with protein. I'm planning to make a lentil daal with spinach today. Let's see how adventurous this kid really is!

Lately, Rowan has been enjoying pieces of fruit - bananas, pears, melons - oaty-Os (cheerio things) and baby mum-mums (rice cracker things), bits of vegetables - avocado, cucumber, and the odd bit of meat. She hasn't really enjoyed meat yet, but the doc suggested poaching little tiny meatballs in broth and freezing them. Sounds like a good idea.

Jumping bean
Rowan has been really liking standing up and jumping, so Nigel bought her a bouncy jolly-jumper type thing. It is essentially a hanging seat with a tray on it - to hold stuff as well as keep the kid from hitting the doorframe, I think. Rowan LOVES this thing. The first time Rowan used it, when she started jumping and grinning her huge grins, I couldn't stop laughing. I actually rolled on the ground and my cheeks started to hurt from laughing. So so cute. I'll get some photos of that on here soon.

No comments: