Wednesday, May 02, 2007

fast-track baby: progress report

First, some cuteness:
A big sunny grin

Roll over, roll over
Rowan is now rolling herself over and she can't seem to stop doing it. On the change table (well, she tries but I stop her), on the floor, in the playpen, and in her crib *while she's asleep* Just half an hour ago I heard her complaining and went in to find her wedged in the corner of the crib on her tummy. Poor darling. She just required a wee bit of snuggling and she went right back to sleep.

Giggle-monster
Rowan now laughs more frequently. It is so sweet I can't even describe it. And she almost always smiles at her daddy when he comes near, which I think makes him feel much more loved these days.

Food and drink
Rowan is now enjoying apple sauce. Usually I give it to her mixed with her oat cereal, since she's turning up her nose at the cereals these days. I have some very ripe pears I need to run through the blender for her, too. I also have some quinoa flakes (as recommended by Heather), but I have to figure how to prepare them.

Today I bought a can of formula. I'm introducing the formula as an alternate drink for Rowan partly because of the fortification (iron, vitamin D, etc.) and partly so I don't have to nurse her every 2.5 hours. I'm not planning to wean her off the breast, but I want her to get used to the idea of a bottle (she hadn't used one before now) and understand that food doesn't have to come from me all the time. She doesn't seem to get much liquid out of the bottle or sippy cup at this point, despite her enthusiasm. She is starting to understand that that she has to suck to get anything.

Immunizations
Last Thursday, Rowan had her final round of baby shots. She was tough and hardly cried at all. I think this is partly because Dr. Oldfield is one of those people who know how to give a needle so that it doesn't hurt as much. I used to get allergy shots every week, so I know what I'm talking about. :-) She now weighs 15lb, 8oz.

Play-group
Today, Rowan and I went to a play-group at a school in Almonte. The Baby Sign workshop got cancelled, so I decided to try the playgroup as an alternative social activity. My goodness, I've never before seen so many kids running around, doing crafts, socializing, and playing. At one point, they all went to the school gym for a few minutes of horseplay. At the end, the facilitator sang and played a couple of kids' songs on the guitar and read a story (with physical actions). The kids seemed to have a great time.

Greg, I think Rebecca might enjoy this playgroup. If you want to join Rowan and me sometime, it is on Mondays and Wednesdays from 10am until 11:30. (it's early, I know...)

1 comment:

Mad said...

Sarah, I have a recipe for making baby food with quinoa in my baby blender food book. I will make sure to give you a copy of the recipe next time I see you.