Saturday, February 17, 2007

this week in the world of rowan

This post is pretty much just a collection of thoughts and observations.

Hand-knit sweater
A couple of days ago, I dressed Rowan in this sweet sweater that my Mom knit for her. It fits her perfectly and looks SO cute on her that it almost made me cry. Thanks Mom, for all the lovely knitting you've been doing! I love it.

sweet sleeper in snuggly sweaterRowan in the beautiful sweater Nanny knit

Sit-ups and snuggles
Rowan is so much stronger now. We don't have to support her head at all anymore unless she is sleeping. She really enjoys being held in a sitting up position on our laps and carried around in a seated, facing-out position so she can look around. At the same time, Rowan has gotten much more snuggly. She used to not enjoy being held close unless she was just on the verge of falling asleep. Perhaps now that she has a bit more physical control, she doesn't mind the closeness as much.

Is biting with gums still biting?
Rowan has been testing her limits with me. On a couple of occasions, the little scamp has gotten this mischievous gleam in her eye and then clamped down on my nipple with her gums. Hard. So far, my reaction is to firmly tap her on the nose and unlatch her, firmly telling her that she shouldn't bite mommy. From her expression before she bites, I think she knows she shouldn't do it, but does it to see what my reaction will be. I hope I can discourage her from this behaviour before she gets teeth. eep.

And on that subject, we've noticed that she *may* have a bit of tooth showing on the bottom front gum, but I don't want to get too excited. I've been known to be wrong.

Rowan's university fund
Nigel and I have set up an education savings plan (RESP) for Rowan's post-secondary education. Thanks to Rowan's great-grandparents Glen and Abbey, her NB grandparents Eric and Valerie, and her great-aunt and uncle Stu & Holly for their contributions.

Poop alert!
Well, this part is about baby poop and you know I don't skimp on details. You've been forewarned.

So, Rowan *finally* pooped on Friday. Let me back up. Until this week, Rowan had been in the habit of pooping every day or every second day. Pretty regular. Up until yesterday, she hadn't pooped since last Sunday afternoon. That is a long time ago! Five days to be exact. The last couple of days, she had been gassy (her farts smelled like old cabbage! stinky monkey) and was having little bouts of tummy cramps, but was eating as usual and seemed otherwise fine. I was worried that she was going to explode. I was afraid to go anywhere with her.

Even though we were pretty sure that it was just a bit of constipation, Nigel and I called Telehealth on Thursday night to make sure it couldn't be anything serious. After a series of questions, they ruled out most things and told us that it was probably because the bacteria in her gut was changing (Mad told me this too) and that she was probably just using more of the milk to fuel her growth spurt. They suggested letting her have 4oz of apple or pear juice, which would have a "softening" effect. Mmmm.

Thankfully, Rowan went before we left the house on Friday. It wasn't as bad as I feared for five days worth. I can honestly say, I've never been so happy to hear my baby poop.

No comments: